Thursday, June 12, 2014

My "other side"

Sometimes I think it is fun to show people the "other side" of me...... not the quilter side but the wild, a bit crazy side....  Many of you may know but I bet a few don't so let me tell you a secret.  In my "other life" I am an EMT (emergency medical technician), EMT instructor, and volunteer firefighter.  I don't get to train as often as I would like and I don't get to pack up and fight fires very often anymore since I am usually in charge of the kids but if the chance to train comes up I jump right in.....LITERALLY.

Monday night we had a training for what is known as safety and survival.  The techniques you hope you NEVER have to use in real life situations but like to practice for cause the practice is kinda fun....... These are room searches called vent, enter, search, wall breaches, and bailouts....... FUN to practice but all VERY dangerous in real life situations and used as last resorts.

Here I am on Monday doing the evolutions.......
Vent portion of vent enter search......

entering the "burning room"

2nd story room bailout..... I LOVE doing this!!

2nd story bailout decent

can someone PLEASE unhook me

my goofy face

diminished clearance in the confined space....
Hope you enjoyed a peak at my other side....... and remember to thank those who GIVE THEIR TIME to train so they are able to assist you when you have an emergency!!  Hug a VOLUNTEER today!

1 comment:

  1. Mandy. Good for you to do this dangerous work to help the community. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete