Thursday, August 28, 2014

Quilts at the fair!!

Each year I make it a point to enter a quilt into the New York State Fair Competition, this is my 4th year.  At times some of my clients enter as well..... this year my mom and my client Elaine Reich entered quilts I had finished for them.  When we recieved the return post cards I knew what placing the quilts had gotten, but I was VERY excited to learn that EACH of them had recieved additional Guild prizes.  My Friend Cindy Raulli took pictures for me on opening day( couldnt get there until last night almost a week later) and I got to see the extra awards.


First up is my Moms Quilt.  I finished it for her this spring for her birthday.  It recieved an Honorable mention in the category for those quilts quilted by a professoinal.  It was a HARD category again this year and it means that it was competing with another quilt which I quilted. 

This quilt was awarded a Thumbstall Quilt Guild award ( one of 4 at the show)
This is my momma and her quilt, the pastel quilt on the backwall, sort of like a rail fence.


Close-up (photos courtesy of Cindy Raulli)

Photo courtesy of Cindy Raulli

Also in that Category was a quilt by my dear customer Elaine Reich.  Her quilt Sagamore Log Cabin debuted at this show but will hang in a number of places all over the eastern shore in the next year before being donated to the Great Camp Sagamore Auction next August.  This quilt competed against my moms quilt in the quilted by a professional category and won a second place. It was created using 1inch "logs" and was exquisite before she brought it to me.  This one really is MUCH better in person you will have to take my word for it and try and catch me sometime with it while I have it to share over the winter months.

Elaines quilt won a Towpath Guild award (one of 4 for the show).
This Elaine Reich with Sagamore Log Cabin (photo courtesy of Ted Reich)

photo courtesy of Cindy Raulli

Detail (photo courtesy of Cindy Raulli

Photo courtesy of Cindy Raulli

The center (photo courtesy of CIndy Raulli)              



The last Quilt in the bunch is mine Chocolate in my Garden.  I began HAND blanket stitching the fusable applique on this quilt around 5 years ago.  Once it was complete, I finished the top and it hung around for a LONG while until I was able to finish it this winter. As soon as I get this quilt back from the NYS fair it will travel to Springfield Illinois to MQX Mid-west for their machine quilting show.  When it is done traveling I believe it will go on my bed.  I LOVE how it came out and this one is another that really doesn't photograph that well.  I hope you get a chance to see it in person some day!!  This quilt was in the category of Appliqued and pieced.  I knew this one had gotten a 4th place and I have to be honest I was pretty upset with that placing, UNTIL I went to the show and saw the others who received ribbons higher than mine.  Oh my what beautiful appliqued creations they were!!  When I got Cindy's photos on thursday I knew this quilt had won the Emily Koon Award but I didnt know what that award was.  Last night I was able to get a program and discover that the Emily Koon award is for BEST HAND APPLIQUED BED QUILT.......EEEK!!!!  I was pretty excited about that I have to admit!! 
here I am with Chocolate in my Garden last night

Chocolate in my Garden (photo courtesy of Cindy Raulli)

Details (photo courtesy of Cindy Raulli)


I want to thank eveyone for letting me work on their beautiful quilts and create such wonderful pieces.  I wonder what next year will bring??  If your at the Great New York State fair in the next few days be sure to stop by the Arts and Home center and look at the amazing quilts hanging there!!

















1 comment:

  1. Saw them in person. They were beautiful. You are an amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete